Hi, my name is Niara, and I am 11 years old. This is my first year at Aya, and I take the Ngolo Melanin class. I live near Baltimore, Maryland. My favorite subjects are art, math, and writing. Some things I like doing outside of learning are riding my roller blades outside, playing soccer and lacrosse, painting, and cooking. 


                  Ngolo Melanin          

          Teachers: Mama Imani & Baba Wekesa 

                                               

 

                                    Most Beneficial 
                       
                                   In class we covered a lot of stuff. But the most beneficial information
   was how we learned that the vitamin D tests aren't accurate for black              people. We don't really need to take vitamin D supplements because too much is toxic and causes damage in the liver, which can cause you to die. Learning this is beneficial because now I know not to take vitamin D supplements, and I can possibly help other people that are using them. I can  make them aware of the dangers. 
                      
      
               
            
             Most Difficult 
    The most difficult thing in class was doing all the memory boards. We had a list of words for certain systems in the body. We had to create images and animations that would remind us of that specific word, then create a video for where we would place the images and animations in our house. This was difficult because we didn't have a lot of time to complete the assignment and it was hard to draw and animate the images.  Even though creating the memory boards was difficult, it was also helpful.  It make it easier for me to remember the words and definitions. 


                                                                                                                            
Most Enjoyable 

      The most enjoyable thing I did in class was the group project where we had to create questions. Me and my classmates were put into two teams. Each group had to create questions for the other team, and the other team had to answer the questions we made for them. I liked this the best because it helped me make friends and I just like doing group projects. It was also fun answering the other team's questions and having them answer my team's questions. It was also like a little competition because the points were being counted.   


This is the link for one of my memory boards. 




Thanks for reading!




Comments

Auntie Shasa said…
Great job. I really like the layout of your blog and the use of emojis that go along with each section. Very creative. It is so exciting to learn about what you're doing in school and to also learn more about you. My favorite part was the video! The animation was so cool!
Jawana M said…
Thanks for sharing what you've learned Niara. It is cool that you get to use creative animations to create memory boards. Keep up the excellent work.
Unknown said…
Hi Niara it's Nana, thanks for sharing your assignments with me, I really enjoy keeping up with what you are doing in your classes. That Melanin course seems so interesting and you certainly taught me something new when you shared that information about vitamin D. Keep up the good work. Naku penda your Nana Nataki
SSM said…
Thanks for sharing your wonderful experiences at Aya. I found the information that you provided incredibly useful. I'm very proud of you and continue to do your best. Excellent job!
Anonymous said…
Nice job Niara
Unknown said…
Seems like you had a lovely time! Keep up the good work!